VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS
A little spin on the usual quesadilla recipe! I’ve never tried a corn tortilla for a recipe like this and it was surprisingly quite yummy. I made a “taco” dipping sauce that I am now obsessed with and its a must add to this dish!
- 2 medium chicken breast(butterflied and cubed) OR PROTEIN OF CHOICE IF MAKING VEGAN*
- olive oil
- Tamari/soy sauce
- lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1 can black beans
- shredded cheese of choice (VEGAN OPTION)
“TACO” SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1-2 medium whole tomatoes(enough to puree into 8 oz)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all taco sauce ingredients together in a bowl and mix.
- Add mixture to a small saucepan and keep on medium to low heat for about 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Heat a medium nonstick pan on medium heat, prep chicken.
- Place cubed chicken in a bowl and add 1 tsp each of the following: olive oil, tamari and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add seasoned chicken to pan and cook through until no longer pink
- In a separate nonstick pan on medium heat add a bit of olive oil, bell peppers and onions- when onions are caramelized they are ready!
- Heat medium nonstick on low-medium heat.
- Brush tortilla with olive oil and place in pan.
- Layer cheese, black beans, protein of choice, veggies, more cheese, top tortilla and brush again with olive oil.
- Place a small cover over entire quesadilla to allow it to press down evenly.
- Cook until cheese is melted and flip. Repeat.
- Serve Immediately with dipping sauce!